7 марта 2012 г.

Why not start blogging in English? Or my first experimental English post

I have been thinking about starting a blog in English for a long time. I already have a Russian one and enjoy writing it. My friend Jhennifer, who went to English classes with me, said she had been inspired to start her own blog when she saw mine. Well, I’m really proud of this but feel envy of her attempt. The thing is that she was brave enough to start blogging in English and not in her native language, which I did.  Well done, Jhennie, now it is my turn to follow you.

My English teacher Pat likes my idea of blogging in English as well. Of course, it will improve my writing skills anyway. But I reckon this is not the real reason. I’d prefer to believe that the real reason is that she is keen to know what exactly I’m writing about. Just imagine, at every other lesson I’m talking to her about my blog. However, as long as her Russian remains limited (privet, kak dela?) she can’t have any chance to read any of my posts, even those that had been written about her.

A few weeks ago Stellan, who taught English in another group but was always the first one to have a beer with us, asked me, why I was not blogging in English. My arguments were, firstly, who was going to read my broken English; secondly, I didn't have time to run two blogs - even one takes 80% of my free time; thirdly, I didn't want to lose my Russian followers, who were (I hope so!) reading me and waiting for my new posts. Listening to all those excuses for myself, Stellan suddenly suggested that smart idea about running one blog but with some posts in English. Why, why hasn't this simple solution ever come to my mind? I strongly believe that half of my Russian readers are able to understand what I’m writing about, moreover, half of that half  have better English than mine so they are able to not just understand but correct me as well. Lastly, for those whose English is not enough but who want so much to know what all this talk is about (it will be a real pleasure to know if these curious readers exist) I can always give detailed explanation in the comments below (as long as it’s in Russian there is no problem).

Finally, the last serious impact to start writing my first English post happened just a few hours ago, when trying again and again to find the best or (I know, that is utopia) the fastest way to improve my language I was browsing on a very useful BBC website for English learners. The example of writing a blog in English, that was published there, impressed me so much as well as the huge amount of comments by English learners from all over the world who are struggling to learn English almost the same way the author of the post does and I do. Well, the situation became clear very quickly. Like after attending an alcoholics anonymous fellowship. I am not alone with my problems and fears. There is nothing to be afraid of. There is no time to hesitate.

To finish on a positive note I’d like to quote from the comment of that post on the BBC website left by a sixty-year old Japanese lady who is learning English to become a guide of the world heritage in her hometown.

The more mistakes you make, the more you learn from them.
Follow your dreams and don't give up halfway.
Every effort brings you closer to your dream.

Impressive and inspiring, isn’t it?

14 комментариев:

  1. weeee, finally you took the big step, I´m so proud of you Maria, now i´m going to be pleased reading and understanding all those words coming from your mind and hands accurately

    ОтветитьУдалить
    Ответы
    1. Thanks, Jhennie, I'll be trying to write as accurate as I can to make it easier to understand;)

      Удалить
  2. Sounds good! Learning without reflection is a waste, reflection without learning is dangerous. Hi Lara

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Nice decision Maria! I'm absolutely sure your posts in English will be almost as perfect as they are in Russian. Best of luck on your great initiative :)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Yeahhh! That's a wonderful idea! I've thought about the same one, but gave it up. Who knows, may be you'll inspire me to start blogging in English))

    ОтветитьУдалить
    Ответы
    1. It'd be great! That's actually another goal of mine to inspire some of my readers to join me. And maybe one day we'll organise our own English language fellowship to inspire, support, and, well, complain and moan from time to time;)

      Удалить
  5. I do understand you) and I'm so proud that finaly you started)) I'm already thinking about writing my blog in Finnish) but something still prevents me from it. I bet my laziness)
    I'm looking forward to new posts in English)

    ОтветитьУдалить
    Ответы
    1. OMG, blog in Finnish!!! Sounds scary:) Just don't give up with your old one, please, or at least translate it to Russian (English?) for those like me;)

      Удалить
  6. all the best and good luck with this endeavor. you must be proud of yourself. don't give up! Nelson

    ОтветитьУдалить
  7. Masha, you're doing better every time. I hope one day you'll become a famous writer. You have everything for that. Your style of writing is like Elizabeth Gilbert's one. Have you ever read one of her books? (Daddy long legged)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  8. :) Thanks, I've never heard about Gilbert, but now feel encouraged to find and read her books!

    ОтветитьУдалить